Roasted Garlic Hummus

Despite feeling a bit under the weather, Kramer and I had a great weekend. On Friday night, I made some pasta while we watched part one of the Battlestar Gallactica mini-series (I can’t believe we’ve never seen it – don’t worry, though, we’re working on it), then we headed out to meet up with some friends at The Richardson in Brooklyn for a few drinks. Saturday, we slept in, made some breakfast, finished part two of the BSG mini-series, then headed up to Astoria to watch some of the finished episodes of our friend Morgan’s new web series, which is absolutely hilarious and I highly recommend checking it out. Kramer and I ended up being in a few scenes as extras, so you should obviously watch it for that alone, right? On Sunday, we finally got to go eat at Riverpark, Tom Colicchio’s latest restaurant in the city, again, with Morgan, to celebrate his birthday. The food was phenomenal, and the restaurant is right on the edge of the East River, giving way to some beautiful views. The restaurant also has a garden across the street where it grows a lot of its own produce, which I think is awesome, especially for a NYC based restaurant. I can’t wait to go back, although I think my favorite Colicchio restaurant is still Colicchio & Sons.

In the spirit of the Spicy Harissa that I made last week, I wanted to share another of my favorite falafel toppings: roasted garlic hummus. I prefer a hummus that has been pureed with, yes, and entire bulb of golden, roasted garlic. There’s just nothing better. Kramer and I were crazy for this hummus, and were pretty sad when it was gone. This was, believe it or not, the first time that I’ve ever made hummus, and I plan to do it pretty frequently now because it is easy to make and relatively healthy, especially compared to other dips or sauces. You can put this hummus on a sandwich, in a pita, or just serve it alongside some pita chips or vegetables as a snack. You’ll love it no matter what you put it on, so what’s stopping you? Go make some hummus!

Roasted Garlic Hummus
First, you need to roast your garlic. Chop the top off of a bulb of garlic.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Wrap it in foil and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, until golden.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Allow to cool before handling.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Rinse your chickpeas.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Add them to your food processor with salt, pepper, tahini, red pepper flakes, olive oil, lemon juice, and your roasted garlic.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust ingredients as necessary.

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Serve in a bowl with some drizzled olive oil, parsley leaves, cracked black pepper, and red pepper flakes.

Roasted Garlic Hummus

Roasted Garlic Hummus
Author:
Serves: 3 cups

• 1 bulb garlic
  • 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • ⅓ cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling the garlic and the finished hummus
  • 2½ tablespoons tahini
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more for garnish
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
  • freshly minced parsley, for garnish
  • pita chips or vegetables, for serving
  • ⅓ cup hot water
  1. First, roast your garlic. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Chop off about ½ inch off the top of your garlic bulb, so that a bit of the garlic shows through but the majority is still in the peel. Drizzle with about 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil, then wrap loosely in aluminum foil. Place in the middle rack of the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes, until golden. Allow to cool before popping the cloves out of the peels.
  2. Drain and rinse your chickpeas. Add them to your food processor along with your roasted garlic cloves, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, kosher salt, ground black pepper, cumin, and red pepper flakes, until smooth, then gradually add in the hot water (you may not need all of it) until it is the consistency that you like. Keep in mind that if you refrigerate the hummus to use later, it will thicken up a bit in the fridge, so you may want to add a tiny bit more water than you think is necessary. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve immediately with pita chips, vegetables, or even on your favorite sandwich. You can also keep this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

1. Fatma says:

Thanks for the recipe :) We love hummus. Especially with meat…

2. […] Trend: Macarons Roasted Garlic Hummus The Crepes of Wrath Tue, January 17, 2012 12:24 PM UTC The Crepes of Wrath Rate this Loading … Share (function(){var […]

3. Mir says:

I am Turkish and Hummus is a very traditional dish in Turkey as well as in Lebanon. But when I make hummus, for 1 can of chickpeas (about 300 grams /0.7 pounds i guess), I use 3/4 cup or a little more tahini, 1/2 cup olive oil and the juice of 2 lemons and very much of garlic. 2,5 table spoons of tahini looked very little to me, but it’s of course, how you get used to eat hummus. btw, i love your blog, great photos and explanations.

Thank you very much! I would have preferred more tahini to be honest, but I didn’t want to overdo it, and I guess here in the States we are bit wary of tahini – your recipe sounds great!

4. Looks amazing and so simple… starred and plan to make this soon!

5. Lindsay says:

This looks like a great hummus recipe. We’ve made many variations over the years so I’m happy to see another one here to try. And BSG!! Love it too :)

6. Alli says:

Do you watch Portlandia? This week’s episode shows what happens when you start Battlestar Galactica, lol. All I can say is, thank god I was unemployed when I got caught up in it the first time!

7. MegsieMay says:

I heart hummus. There really should be t-shirts! Thanks for the inspiration. I think I’ll be making this soon…

8. liz says:

We make our own very garlic-laden hummus all the time, but I’ve never taken the time to roast it! Must try soon.
    And I think I’m going to up my tahini next time per Mir’s suggestion – sounds wonderful!

P.S. Every put feta directly IN your hummus? A MN local hummus vendor (Deena’s Gourmet) has a “red pepper and feta hummus” that we’ve become addicted to. Now, we just put feta directly in our own hummus. Amazing.

9. Lindsey says:

Stephen’s favorite! Can’t wait to try this out :-)

10. Love it! I adore hummus. Great recipe :)

11. Randy Lennox says:

Hi Sydney – I love Roasted Garlic Hummus…(and your blog site). I also love Caramelized Onion Hummus. Give it a try – let us know what you think! Cheers from England!

12. Dana says:

Home made hummus is just so worth it!

13. This looks amazing! Also, top marks for discovering BSG – we did the same thing last year and cannot wait to get season 3. I’m on the edge of my seat just thinking about it!

14. Rhonda says:

This is one of my favorite things to make, so simple but so tasty.

15. Amanda says:

Hummus is a must-have in our house, if we’re out, everyone has a meltdown. Like that you added the roasted garlic. Yum.

Love your photos by the way…

16. Deanna B says:

If you have the time, or the inclination, cook the garbanzo beans from dried. I usually do a full bag then portion and freeze leftovers with some of the cooking liquid into 2 cup increments. Makes the best hummus in the whole world or at least tied with roasted garlic hummus.

17. Jen says:

This looks great, I’ve been meaning to try making my own hummus for ages and now that I got a mini food processor for christmas it might become a reality soon!

If you are planning on doing a series and trying some different varieties, Cilantro Jalapeno hummus is one of my favorites. Ever had it at Pita Jungle, when you lived in AZ? Yummm!

Jen

18. Skye says:

I’ve tried making my own hummus and didn’t like it. But I might have to give it another go with this recipe! I love roasted garlic!

19. […] warm apartment, I am forced to fend for myself and make my own. I had already made some fantastic roasted garlic hummus and spicy harissa, so the next step was obviously falafel. Falafel is really easy to make – […]

20. Sydney says:

Next time I need to think ahead so I have time to soak the chickpeas!

21. Sydney says:

Out here, they call that variety of hummus “California Hummus” – isn’t that funny? I never had it at PJ, but I’ve had it before. I definitely need to make a few different varieties, so I will add that to the list!