Yes, I am still in the celebratory mood, but I suppose that’s what happens when anything Star Wars related pops up into my life. I’ve been getting in the mood by re-watching the original films (I suppose that will depress me even more when I sit down for Episode 1, but what can you do) and reading The Han Solo Trilogy (right now I’m on The Hutt Gambit and it’s awesome – Han Solo’s back story? Yes, please). I shared with you these Storm Trooper Sugar Cookies on Monday, which are maybe my favorite thing ever – I just love the idea of a grumpy looking sugar cookie, I suppose. These, on the other hand, are maybe the cutest cookies I have ever made in my life. Look at his little face! Who doesn’t just adore Yoda, with all of the sage wisdom and advice that he has bestowed upon all of us. I would imagine that one of the top five Star Wars quotes repeated by its audience is, “Do or do not, there is no try.” I took those words to heart and came up with these adorable little Meyer Lemon Yoda Sandwich Cookies, complete with Meyer Lemon Curd that I had made previously. The Meyer lemon really makes these cookies pop, but of course, when they’re shaped like Yoda, what’s not to love? The 3D premiere of Episode 1 is this Friday, so I suggest you put aside any problems you have with the move and just go see it, because if nothing else, that pod racer scene is going to look really awesome in 3D. May the force be with you!
Your cookie ingredients.
Combine your sugar and Meyer lemon zest.
Rub the sugar and zest together with your fingers until the sugar turns a pale yellow color; this will help infuse all of the oils from the zest into the cookies, allowing for maximum flavor.
Beat in your butter, followed by your egg, vanilla, food coloring, and combined flour, baking powder, and salt.
Your dough should be a dark green, as it will fade a bit during baking.
Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic, and chill for 3 hours (I let mine chill overnight).
Roll your dough out to about 1/2-inch thick, cut out the cookies, and bake them at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes.
Allow to cool completely before sandwiching with the Meyer Lemon Curd.
And, there you have it, the cutest cookies ever.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- zest of 4 Meyer lemons
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cubed
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8-10 drops green food coloring (for the Yoda cookies - optional)
- ⅓ cup Meyer Lemon Curd
- Whisk together your flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside. Place your sugar in the bowl of your mixer and add your lemon zest. Rub the sugar and zest together with your fingers until the sugar turns a pale yellow color. Add in the cubed butter and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, then beat in the egg and vanilla. Add in your food coloring (if you are using it), beat to combine, then gradually add in the flour until the dough is just moistened. Make sure that your dough is a deep green, as the color will fade a bit during baking. Separate the dough into two balls, wrap each one in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly flour your work surface. Roll out one ball of dough at a time to about ½-inch thick. If you are using the Star Wars cookie cutters, I found that it was best to dip them in a bit of flour before cutting so that they don't stick to the dough (but don't use too much flour or it will sink into the designs in the cut-outs and the face won't be as prominent). Cut out your cookies, place them on a baking tray, and bake for 10 minutes or so, until set (obviously, it is a bit difficult to tell when they are set if you have colored your cookies dark green, like I did, but just touch them with your finger and they should feel slightly soft but not jiggly). Allow to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheets before moving to another surface to finish cooling.
- When the cookies have cooled completely, flip half of them over and spread 2-3 teaspoons of Meyer Lemon Curd on one side, then sandwich with another cookie. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.