Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp

cool noodles for warm days

The Olympics are seriously cutting into my television-watching time, and I will not stand for it. I do not care about the Olympics. At. All. There are too many events. I can’t keep track of them all, they are spread across what seems like 5 million channels, and I have no idea what’s going on. I much prefer my regular television shows, thank you very much. Unfortunately, everything is on a stupid break while the world waits for all of these young, good looking people to win medals. So, Kramer and I have improvised and started watching Sons of Anarchy. It’s been on my list for a while, and oh man, I cannot believe it took us so long to start. It’s so good – we’re only a few episodes in and I’m already in love. Ron Pearlman is honestly one of the coolest dudes in the history of man. We have started watching our favorite shows during hard times like these, and it’s always turned out well for us. Be strong, fellow TV nerds – the Olympics only have one more week (right?).

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp

Speaking of love, I loved these noodles. They were everything I want in a summer meal: chilled, spicy, and best of all, served with shrimp. It’s just what I needed on a Sunday afternoon. I cooked everything early in the day, then chilled it to serve later that night. Kramer had to go into work on this particular Sunday, actually, so it was nice to cook, clean up, and have some time to myself before eating, instead of the usual running around trying to get everything in place before the food gets stale or cold or whatever else. Perfect, if I don’t say so myself!

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp
What you’ll need for the noodles.

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp
Whisk together your sauce ingredients.

And saute your garlic.

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp
Add in the sliced scallions, grated carrots, sesame seeds, and cooled garlic.

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp
Toss together with your cooked, cooled noodles, cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge until ready to use.

Now for the shrimp.

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp
Cook your shallot until translucent in some vegetable oil.

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp
Then add in the shrimp and the sauce and cook for 5-6 minutes or so, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.

Chilled Spicy Sesame Noodles with Shrimp
Add the shrimp to the noodles and serve chilled or room temperature.

4.5 from 4 reviews
Author:
Serves: 4-5 servings

Chilled sesame noodles with spicy shrimp, perfect for a summer afternoon or after work meal.
For the Noodles:
  • 1 lb. thin noodles, cooked and rinsed (I used angel hair pasta)
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon hot chili paste
  • 1 teaspoon mirin (optional)
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 10 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 3-4 carrots, grated
  • squeeze of lemon
For the Shrimp:
  • 1 lb. shrimp, cleaned, patted dry, and deveined (see note)
  • 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 tablespoon hot chili paste
  • 1 tablespoon Sriracha
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • ⅛ teaspoon fresh or ground ginger
  • pinch salt and pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish
For the Noodles:
  1. Cook your noodles according to package directions. When cooked, drain the water from the noodles, place in a colander, and rinse with cold water until the noodles are no longer warm. Set aside until ready to use.
  2. In a wok or saute pan, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and heat over medium. Add in the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes or so, until fragrant. Set aside until ready to use.
  3. In a large bowl, toss together the sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, chili paste, mirin, salt, scallions, carrots, and lemon juice. Add in the cooked noodles, toss to combine, taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary. Add in the cooled and cooked garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Shrimp:
  1. In a wok or saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add in the shallot and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the chili paste, Sriracha, sesame oil, sugar, ginger, salt, and pepper in a bowl, and toss the cleaned shrimp in the mixture.
  2. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook over high heat for 5 minutes or so, until the shrimp are cooked through and pink. Taste, adjust seasonings as needed, and set aside to cool to room temperature before adding to the noodles. I kept the shrimp and noodle separate when I stored them in the fridge, as I cooked this earlier in the day to serve for dinner. It kept quite well, and keeping the shrimp apart from the noodles allowed us to eat the leftovers for dinner the next night (with a fresh squeeze of Sriracha).
  3. Note: I used ½ pound rock shrimp and ½ pound regular shrimp for this - I loved the texture and different sizes of shrimp in the noodles. To do this, I added the larger shrimp first, and 2-3 minutes later, I added the rock shrimp.

1. Anthony says:

“The Olympics are seriously cutting into my television-watching time, and I will not stand for it. I do not care about the Olympics.

Soul-sister!

( Mostly, it’s NBC’s perennially bad coverage that spoils it for me.)

Haven’t seen SoA, must correct that. I’ve heard really good things about it.

About the recipe, I’m not a seafood fan. I wonder if this would work with thinly-sliced pork?

2. Mary Ellen says:

While I can’t comment on the seafood dish as I’m not much for anything from the water unless maybe it’s fresh-water fish and even then…I can say that with the time change and my work schedule I’ve been generally unaffected by the Olympics.

One quick option for the noodles in this dish though would be to perhaps use bean or rice vermicelli noodles.

Definitely watch SoA – my friend got me hooked and it’s right up there with The Wire for character and plot writing.

3. sara says:

Oh, this dish looks fantastic!! I love sesame noodles, and that shrimp looks fantastic! :)

4. Your photos of this dish literally have me salivating. It looks absolutely delicious! Thank gosh lunch is only 5 minutes away. ;)

5. This recipe looks great. I love Asian inspired dishes, but rarely make them at home. I have to disagree with you on the Olympics. I love them, and I’m having the opposite problem having to balance watching them with Big Brother, Suits, Royal Pains, The Newsroom, Franklin and Bash and all the others that didn’t go on hiatus. My TiVo officially hates me.

6. Jake P says:

C’mon, Sydney, you gotta indulge your old crew coach that you at least *tried* to catch some of the 6.5 minutes of rowing they’ve showed out of 10,000 hours of synchronized diving, gymnastics, swimming and volleyball. Bwahaha.

Anyway, this looks delicious — will need to grab some shrimp this weekend. And the wife and I rocked out on your Salmon Tartare earlier this week (mine, minus the avocado, which I *wish* I liked). Might want to advise people to have needlenose pliers handy if they buy filets with the pinbones still intact, as mine were :)

Fair enough! I actually did watch about 2 minutes of rowing the other day – I do miss it! And very, very good point about the bones. I didn’t even think of that.

7. Lynna says:

I love that you post all sorts of recipes on your blog! Loving this recipe, i love eating noodle dishes.

LOL. since i`m in college, my apartment doesn`t have a tv…so I don`t see all the olympics.

8. Tracy A. says:

This is just the kind of summer recipe I adore!

9. Rose says:

This is great, I have some shrimp in the fridge right now and was wondering what I was going to do with it. I know now! Thanks.

10. Rachael says:

Hoping to try this with some sort of Asian noodle ~ yum yum.

11. What a stunning dish! I seriously love everything about it! I need to go to Costco to get some fresh shrimp – so excited!

So sons of anarchy is good? I’ll have to give the pilot a try!

12. I think I burned myself out by watching the Olympics- I’ve watched all four hours of prime time… every single day so far O.o

But the noodles do look very refreshing on a hot day!

13. Stacey Evans says:

Great looking recipe, I think I will try this sometime this week since it’s going to be 113 in Arizona. Thanks for sharing another great recipe Sydney.

Stacey

14. You had me at spicy! I’m printing this now! :) Yum Sydney!

15. JulieD says:

I’m completely in love with this dish! I love sesame noodles and with spicy shrimp…it looks so good. Loving your photographs lately, always have been beautiful but am loving them even more!!

16. Dawn says:

Sydney, I made this last night and it’s delicious! However I printed out the recipe and didn’t refer to the pictures. Two things are left out of the text recipe that are only referred to in the pictures, which is “Add in the sliced scallions, grated carrots, sesame seeds, and cooled garlic.”

1) In the recipe, there is no quantity of sesame seeds + it doesn’t say when to add them in.
    2) The recipe says to saute and cool the garlic but doesn’t say when to add that in.

FYI!

17. Sheena says:

Goodness, this looks amazing O_O. I must try this!!!

18. Valen says:

Just made this last night. It was delicious and a perfect meal during the heat wave we’re having in my city. There would only be one thing I would change… double the shrimp! But that just might be the shrimp lover in me. Awesome recipe! :)

19. ladgyn says:

This was out of this world good. Everyone at the office wanted it.

20. laredo15 says:

Have made this at least a 1/2 dozen times now. It’s excellent!