Crock-Pot Lamb Tagine

a slow cooked Moroccan meal

Kramer and I had a phenomenal time at GoogaMooga on Saturday, and I feel really bad that they ended up having to cancel the event on Sunday due to the bad weather. If you didn’t get to go, my condolences, because Saturday ruled. We got there right when the gates opened and the rest was just a whirlwind of food, drinks, and outdoor activities. We had a beef tongue pastrami sandwich from Craftbar (with potato chips on the actual sandwich), a smoked meat sandwich from Mile End, duck corn dogs from James, phat Thai from Pok Pok, oysters bolognese from M. Wells, grilled oysters from Maison Premiere, a burger from Umami Burger, and I’m sure a few things in between that I can’t remember. This is all in between tastes of excellent beers and handmade cocktails from the cocktail pavilion. Don’t worry too much, all of this was consumed over the course of many hours – I think my heart may have exploded if I just sat down for a feast of this magnitude, although it was pretty epic. I know that the festival keeps having problems, between the bad lines last year and the weather this year, but I really hope that they can figure out a way to bring it back again next year because it’s always a blast to be able to try food from all over New York in one location, especially when that location is the beautiful Prospect Park.

Crock-Pot Lamb Tagine
Other than gorging ourselves this past weekend, we did manage to sneak in the new Star Trek movie. I really enjoyed it, although I do remember liking the first one a lot more; I guess it was something new to me at the time, such a well done sci-fi epic without too much cheese. Benedict Cumberbatch really won me over, though. I’m not a big fan of the BBC’s Sherlock (I much prefer the obviously superior Elementary with my main man Johnny Lee Miller), but he was such a creepy villan in this that I’m looking forward to seeing him do more. On Sunday, we obviously needed to take it very, very easy after our performance on Saturday. We had smoothies for breakfast and salmon for dinner in an attempt to reset our cholesterol levels and caught up on TV (Hannibal is so good you guys). Monday, however, we were back at it for 50 cent wing night in Bed-Stuy. I guess we will never learn.

Crock-Pot Lamb Tagine

No, I didn’t cook this in an actual tagine, but don’t worry! The word tagine can refer to both those beautiful cooking vessels and the food that lies within, and I promise that you’re going to want a taste of what’s inside this crock pot. Tender lamb with just the right amount of lovely, marbled fat is slow cooked together with ras el hanout (a Moroccan spice blend), shallots, hot chile peppers, raisins, pine nuts, and a few other tasty additions. Ras el hanout is truly the key ingredient here. You can buy it, or you can just as easily make it on your own by combining chile powder, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, paprika, and turmeric. Kramer and I use ras el hanout on everything from potatoes to asparagus, so we figured that it was about time to use it for something more traditional. This lamb tastes almost buttery, and the sauce and leftover fat are perfect for adding richness to other dishes that you may be cooking up. Plus, there’s nothing as gratifying as having your home engulfed in the sweet and savory aroma of luscious lamb and its spices without having to turn on the stove or the oven. Kramer and I ate this over rice for dinner one night, over a salad for lunch the next day, and once again, for dinner with a fried egg on the following night. Waste not, want not.

Crock-Pot Lamb TagineGoogaMooga fun and deliciousness.
Crock-Pot Lamb Tagine
All you have to do it put it all in the crock pot, then let it cook.

Crock-Pot Lamb Tagine
I promise you, this is insanely good.

Crock-Pot Lamb Tagine

Crock-Pot Lamb Tagine
Author:
Serves: 4

Tender lamb cooked in an aromatic mixture of ras el hanout, raisins, and pine nuts.
For the Ras el Hanout:
  • ½ teaspoon chile powder
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
  • ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cardamom
  • ¼ teaspoon coriander
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Lamb Tagine:
  • 1½ pounds lamb, cut into bite-sized cubes
  • 3 teaspoons ras el hanout (either from the recipe above or store bought)
  • 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 3 chile peppers, minced (use more or less depending on how much heat you like)
  • 2 shallots, thinly sliced
  • ¼ cup raisins
  • 2 tablespoons pine nuts, plus more for garnish
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup beer, white wine or beef stock
  • rice or bread, for serving
  1. In your crock pot, combine all of your tangine ingredients. Stir to combine, then place on low heat for 6-7 hours (or high for 4 hours, but I recommend the longer cooking time for a more buttery tangine). Taste, adjust seasonings as needed, then serve alongside rice or bread with plenty of juices from the pot and garnish with some additional pine nuts.

1. Sasha says:

Mm this dish looks awesome. Have you been to Cafe Mogador? They make the best lamb tagine. (BTW, how does one pronounce tagine?)

I was so bummed that Sunday got cancelled. I’ve literally been looking forward to this event since last May -_-

• Mohamed says:

This may be late, but I though it might still be helpful. I’m from Morocco, so trust me on this. It’s pronounced Tajeen, BUT the trick is to also pronounce the ‘j’ as ‘s’ in the word ‘measure’…notice, it’s /j/ as used in French and Portuguese for example, not the English /dj/ sound…and if you are familiar with the IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet), then it’s /ʒ/ not /dʒ/

• zou says:

you pronounce tagine as tajeen

2. This looks incredible! I have been wanting to buy a tangine but you have just given me a reason to break out the crock-pot instead. Can’t wait to try it!

3. I am just drooling over what you ate ate the food fest. Duck corn dogs? where can I get this in the southern hemisphere?!
    lucky me it is winter so I can cook this deeply spiced tagine and feel all warm inside! Fabulous

4. Rhonda says:

wow, this looks so good I can’t believe you just dump it all in the crock and let it go.

5. Okay, you may have singlehandedly convinced me to buy a Crockpot. I can’t bear the thought of keeping the stove on for hours weather, but most of my favorite dishes are braises. The tagine looks amazing, and even better if the cooking involves just plugging in a machine.

6. Tieghan says:

Whoa! This looks killer!! I mean seriously!!

7. Jenny (jkplayswithyarn) says:

This was exactly the kind of thing I’ve been craving. It’s only about 40* in Buffalo today, perfect for a crock pot meal! Thanks, Sydney!
    Now, if only I could reconstruct the couscous from Cafe Gitane to accompany it…

8. Glad you had a good time at Googamooga! I will so be giving this lamb a try. Ive been looking for new dinner recipes and this sounds awesome!

9. Anthony says:

Made this yesterday and it came out superb! Thank God I have leftovers for tonight. :)

10. This looks incredible, Sydney! I can practically taste how moist and flavorful the lamb is. Yum!

11. Elle Bee says:

This is delicious and super easy to make. Made it for dinner for my family. I ended up adding carrots and potatoes and used cashews instead of pine nuts. I’ll be making it again. Thank you :))))

12. Kari says:

I’m so down with this: no browning spices or dredging chunks of meat! This week I rifled through the cheap meat freezer at the store and came up for air with lamb neck ($2/pound), so I knew I had my chance to try your tagine.

It was delicious. We served the stew-y lamb with rice pilaf (mostly butter), Dinner & Dreams’ Moroccan yogurt sauce, and the same beer that was dumped in the crockpot – so good. Sydney, thanks for the recipe!

13. jaye says:

Hi..could you please tell me is this a really, hot spicy dish? Want to make it for a dinner party but don’t want to if it is really hot as not everyone will like that. Thanks…looks yummy. :)

Hey Jaye – it’s definitely not! But you can always reduce the amount of pepper flakes to half or a quarter of the amount if you’re worried – that is the only thing that is spicy in the ingredients list. Have a fun party!

14. HECK YES this is going in the slow-cooker soon! This looks fabulous!

15. debra says:

I just made this over the weekend and it was wonderful! I went with 6 hours on low and it came out nice and buttery. I just happened to have a bottle of Blue Moon’s ale with agave nectar so I used that for the liquid, highly recommend. I am the person who orders zero stars when getting Thai food and while it was spicy it was not unbearable (I even had seconds). The rest of my family loves hot spices so we agreed to just reduce the dried chili pepper flakes in half next time to make it bit easier on my palette.

16. Deborah Pisano says:

these are wonderful recipes on this here website! I’d like to try them all!

17. Elaine says:

I understand the red pellet flakes, but what kind are the three chilies peppers minced?

18. Cathy says:

Found this recipe yesterday and made it today in slow cooker using up lamb out of busted freezer. Had no pine nuts or agave nectar so used almonds and honey. After about 10 hours (late home) it was amazing. May try chopped apricots instead of raisins next time. Thanks Sydney.

19. […] Goat Tagine With Pita Adapted from The Crepes of Wrath and Smitten Kitchen Serves […]

20. […] Moroccan plate by The Crepes of Wrath is accented by raisins and hunger nuts. But a slow-cooked lamb is a loyal star of a […]

21. […] in tajines and stews. And it’s simple to do at home, especially in the slow cooker! This Crockpot Lamb Tajine is even easier when you’ve got the spice blend already made, and it yields […]