New Year, new me, new us. Welcome to 2017. I hope everyone had the chance to enjoy at least a day or two of rest and relaxation before diving back into work and reality and all that. Reality is all too real, isn’t it? All of a sudden it’s January, and if you’re like me, you’re trudging through snow and braving icy cold winds on your way to work, preparing yourself for another year. But what makes that better? You guessed it: food. Food makes everything better. I really went head-first into eating as many big bowls of warm noodles as I could last week. I figured I should start eating like a normal human again at some point, but last week I just let myself live my best life. That means ramen, and lots of it, as well as heaping piles of rice with spicy, porky things on top, and frosty mugs of beer that I will truly miss now that I am trying to hit the gym and drop some of this winter cushioning that I seem to have picked up. Whatever, worth it. I live my life one bowl of noodles at a time. Until I can’t.
In the spirit of healthier eating, I present to you this super, super, SUPER easy garlic-lemon chicken. All you have to do is combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker, set it, and depending on whether you decided to cook it on low or high, four to eight hours later, you’ve got incredibly tender, extra garlicky chicken, ready to be devoured. I grated a little cheese on top for some added richness, and served the chicken thighs alongside some roasted veggies for dinner. The next day, I sliced the leftovers up and ate them on a big, green salad. This is the kind of thing that makes New Year’s resolutions a little bit easier, I promise. Thank you, slow cooker gods, for being there for me when I need you most.
Just throw everything in and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
That’s all she wrote.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8-10 boneless chicken thighs
- 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 4 whole sprigs rosemary
- zest of ½ a lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- a few grinds of freshly cracked black pepper
- Parmesan or Gruyere cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Drizzle your olive oil in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add in the chicken, smashed garlic, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Use a spoon or your hands to mix everything up. Set your slow cooker on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, discard the rosemary, plate, drizzle with a little bit of the juices and caramelized garlic from the pot, and garnish with grated cheese and/or black pepper, if so desired. This makes a great topping for a salad the next day!