Anthony Bourdain’s Fried Pork Chops

Macau-Style

Today sucks. I’ll say it. Today really sucks. He-who-shall-not-be-named is being sworn into the White House, and I’m thankful that I have back-to-back video shoots to go on today so that I won’t have to look at televisions all day and see it happen. Nobody deserves the inevitable destruction this man is about to reign upon so many people. Just take a look at all of the important programs he’s already planning to cut. Violence Against Women Grants? Really, dude? The Minority Business Development Agency? Seriously? What’s your deal? The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and so many other programs committed to helping stop climate change? Do you hate the planet (answer: apparently, yes)? Ugh. It makes me sick. If you follow me, you probably feel the same way at this point, because I sure as shit haven’t been particularly quiet about my opinions on this matter, so I urge you, please do not tune into the inauguration. Please don’t add to the ratings. If you are marching or protesting this weekend, you’re a sweet baby angel and then you so much for your hard work. I know it’s going to be cold and crowded, but you’re doing something to show that we’re not going to sit back and do nothing during this presidency. If you can afford to do it, please join me in donating $20 to Planned Parenthood today. I already donate a small amount monthly, but if you are fortunate enough to be able to do give an extra $20 today, together, we can make a big difference. In a similar fashion, if you’d rather, the Southern Poverty Law Center is another excellent place to give your dollars if you can. Donate, volunteer, spread knowledge, be strong. Go out and have a strong drink or a piece of pie tonight. You deserve it. The next four years are going to be tough, but remember that midterms elections are in 2018 and your vote counts now more than ever before. Thanks for all you guys do. I know we’ll make a change.

anthony bourdain fried pork chops

My happy place is cooking, as you all know, and in particular, lately, it’s cooking from Anthony Bourdain’s most recent cookbook, Appetites. I’ve made at least five things from it so far, all of which have been phenomenal, and I’ve read it cover-to-cover. I even plan to get a tattoo of some of the artwork from the book at some point. That’s how much I love it. The book covers simple, straight-forward recipes that you can easily put together and readily make substitutions as necessary, if needed. It’s great, simply put. I recommend it to all of my friends. These pork chops are no different. They are incredibly flavorful, crispy as all hell, and are as wonderful between two simple pieces of white bread as they are atop a bunch of cooked greens. We ate them both ways. The five-spice and two kinds of vinegar are really what do it for me here, as well as pounding out the pork chops extra-thin so that you get the perfect ratio of meat to breading. If you need some comfort food this weekend, don’t worry. Tony’s got you.

anthony bourdain fried pork chops

Let the deliciousness begin.

anthony bourdain fried pork chops
Pound those suckers out nice and thin, then marinate. I highly suggest doing this overnight.

anthony bourdain fried pork chops
Once they’re breaded, it’s time to fry, my pretties, fry.

anthony bourdain fried pork chops
That’s it. These are mind-numbingly good. For real. Serve with beer.

anthony bourdain fried pork chopsanthony bourdain fried pork chops

Anthony Bourdain's Fried Pork Chops
Author:
Serves: serves 4

These are definitely better (and easier) than any fried pork chops you've ever tried before. Trust me.
  • 4 boneless pork chop cutlets (about 6 ounces each)
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • ¼ cup Chinese rice wine vinegar
  • ¼ cup black vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
  • 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
  • a few turns of freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups peanut or canola oil, for frying (plus more as needed)
  • chili paste, for serving
  • toasted white bread, for serving (if desired)
  1. Place the chops between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them out to about ¼-inch thickness using a rolling pin (or forgo the plastic and use a meat mallet, if you have one). Place the pork chops in a sealable plastic bag.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, Chinese rice wine vinegar, black vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, five-spice powder, and brown sugar. Pour the mixture over your pork chops, turning them over to make sure they're coated well, then press as much air out of the bag as you can and seal. Refrigerate for at least one hour, but it's best to leave them overnight.
  3. When ready to fry, remove the pork from the marinade and brush off the garlic (it will just burn). Beat the egg in a shallow dish with about a tablespoon of water, and place the flour mixed with salt and pepper and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes (I like to use pie pans for this).
  4. In a large, heavy-bottomed frying pan (like a cast iron pan), add your oil and heat to medium-high. The best way to test this is to take a pinch of bread crumbs and add them to the oil. If they sizzle immediately, your oil is ready.
  5. While the oil heats up, dredge the pork chops in the flour, shaking off any extra, then dip them in the egg, then into the panko. Add to the frying pan and cook for about 5 minutes per side, until golden brown (be sure to turn them carefully). Remove the cooked pork chops from the oil and let them drain on a paper towel-lined plate or sheet pan for a minute or so. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and crushed red pepper flakes, for presentation, mostly, if you like.
  6. To serve, place the pork chops between two slices of toasted white bread with some chili paste. This is obviously the most delicious way to enjoy these pork chops, but if you're trying to cut back on the carbs a bit, they are still totally mind-blowing on top of a salad or alongside some stir-fried greens.

1. I’ll be in the Boston march tomorrow, and donating to Planned Parenthood now. :)

2. Nancy says:

Love the recipe, but your political diatribe sucks.

3. Alex says:

Made this tonight, it was delicious! the Sambal really makes it. So good!!!!

4. Alex says:

I feel you, girl… It’ll take a while to get over the heartbreak of this election, but the crunch factor of these pork chops sure does look like it can ease the pain.

5. Sara says:

Amen!!!!! Thank you!!!! I tuned out for the reasons you mention. Love your blog, recipes and positions and opinions. I stopped frequenting food blogs which turned totally silent on him. It’s inexcusable not to voice a critique of his positions and his vision.

I want to make this with chicken instead of pork. I don’t eat pork, and have this inkling that it’s closer to chicken than say beef. Hmmm.

Also, I make your adapted indoors s’more squares over and over and everyone loves them. My sister visited from San Diego and we made it last week because she’s been dreaming about it. Kudos to you.

6. Elaine says:

Donation made! And I just bought Appetites :) Love your blog Sydney, have followed it for years now.

7. Pam says:

Beautiful pics. I feel you wrath – Inauguration Day sucked and it keeps getting worse. Can’t wait to cook this up!

8. Karen J Simpson says:

I would have tried your recipe but your hateful spewing about the President convinced me to look else where!
    FYI we hear enough from left sided liberals in every day news, I DO NOT want to hear, see or read anymore, enough is enough. Show some respect for the office if you can’t respect the man himself.

9. Mike says:

Stick to food, I have no interest in your mindless political rants.

10. george says:

Politics? Really?

11. john s says:

WTF ??!! I wanted the recipe not your fn political views. Man I just fell out of love. What a asswhipe Bourdaine. Oh yea and I guess your wrong, the world hasn’t blown up despite all you leftist attempts. Wish NYC and California would friggin fall off the face of the earth and take you idiots with it…
    What was I here for……

12. Scott says:

Great recipe!! But your political views suck!!

13. Mark says:

Ahhh… It really is sooo great to see you non-free thinkers continue to lose every election that comes up..
    I know, I know, no matter what the real facts of anything, you will continue to turn the other way and just believe what CNN tells you. And to donate money for abortions, you should all be ashamed of what you’ve become. I would encourage you to take your negative thoughts and move to any OTHER country.
    Now let’s eat, Sydney can you say the grace please.

14. Laura says:

I don’t follow any food blogs, but when I followed the link to this recipe, yours popped up. Thanks to your strong stance against you know who, you know have another follower! yay!

15. Lushon says:

unfortunately, you did not mention adding the chopped garlic to the marinade…so I reserved it thinking it must go into the egg, flour or panko. and don’t say “dummy, read the whole recipe first…”

16. Lushon says:

unfortunately, you didn’t explain what to do with the 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the few turns of black pepper…

17. Lushon says:

and don’t say “dummy, if you don’t know what to do with that, you shouldn’t be cooking…”

18. Fred says:

didn’t know you were that political delete

19. steve sherman says:

Dude, your a chef nobody gives a shit about your political leanings

20. Sally says:

I wouldn’t make thes for a dog after that political spew really? Just wanted a recipe??? You are an idiot

21. Dave says:

Tony watched you since inception.
    Great show and towards the avenue to what appears millions to fame.
    Certainly deserved.
    Having said that…I love and voted for him.
    That’s good luck
    Pretty sure won’t cook this one.
    Are one of the vet’s that said…if he won???
    No reply requested…I know what to expect
    Peace

22. Randy says:

In your recipe you say Chinese Rice Wine Vinegar, and in another recipe. I read Chinese Rice Wine, which is Shaoxing. Two vinegars~?

23. Sherry A says:

You just insulted more than 50% of the US voters. Your political comments suck!

24. Trevor Pyke says:

Less than 50% of the voters, actually. Math must not be your strong suit.